Friday, September 20, 2013

For Monday: The Sonnets, Part 3, "My Love Was My Decay" & Sonnet Recitation Assignment


For Monday: The Sonnets, Part 3: “My Love Was My Decay”:
61, 62, 65, 68, 71, 72, 73, 76, 78, 80

For Monday’s class, I only have one ‘question’ for you to answer: I want you to choose one of the poems above and analyze it in a close reading response.  This means that you will examine the poem line by line, exploring how the poem uses metaphors, images, puns, suggestions, and even sounds to make its points.  Read carefully and be sure to analyze throughout—explain why you see what you do, and help us ‘see’ where you found the clues to decipher (or at least make sense of) the poem.  The key here is to quote words or lines and then discuss them, rather than simply summarizing what the entire poem ‘means.’  Writing a close reading is an act of discovery: you’ll learn a lot more as you do it than you could ever know before you started.  As you analyze the poem, look for some of the common themes of the Sonnets: increasing, immortality, acting, reflecting, social barriers, etc. 

* * * The Sonnet Recitation Assignment!  Due by Friday, October 11th  * * *

At some point in the next 3 weeks, I want you to choose one of Shakespeare’s Sonnets to memorize and recite to me in my office.  You may choose any Sonnet, even one we didn’t read or discuss in class.  Once you’re ready, you can either schedule a time to recite it or just come to my office hours: MWF 9-10, 1-3, or TR 1-3.  I will follow along in the book, and as long as you have 95% accuracy, you’ll get full points for the memorization.

ALSO—I want you to turn in a typed 1-2 page close reading of the poem, examining how you read the poem and why you see it this way.  And yes, you can do the same poem from your close reading assignment (above). 

This assignment is worth 10% of your grade and must be concluded before or by Friday, October 11th.  Please do not dread this assignment or worry about embarrassing yourself.  I just want to see you enjoy the beauty of Shakespeare’s verse and have something in your memory that can potentially last a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment